Don Abel Building Supplies - About Us
Don Abel Building Supply is Southeast Alaska's largest lumber, building material and hardware dealer. A third generation family owned business we are more than 70 years old.
We are proud to be the supplier of choice for more contractors and do-it-yourselfers than any local or national competitor. Our broad range of offerings includes rental equipment to garden supplies which means we can help you with any project big or small. And our local experience and expertise make special orders a breeze. From framing lumber to windows, kitchen and garage cabinets to floor coverings, plumbing fixtures and lighting Don Abel's is truly Juneau's only one-stop shop materials and rental equipment supplier.
Don Abel Sr. instilled in us his philosophy be the best, not the biggest and that lives on in our business to this day. Over the past seventy years our philosophy and practices in striving for excellence have rewarded us with the loyalty of SE Alaska's construction industry and do-it yourselfers alike.
At Don Abel Building Supply our Mission is to develop meaningful relationships with our customers by enthusiastically working to help fulfill their needs in a family friendly environment, while having fun, treating each other with integrity and respect and working for the long term success of our company.
We are Open and Accessible:
One of the great benefits Don Abel customers enjoy is talking to professionals and having access to manufacturers. Whether you are a do-it-yourselfer or a professional tradesman, the products and best practices are always evolving. Never hesitate to ask a question -- we're here to help with the basics and the technical.
Why shop or work at Don Abel?
As a value-based organization, everything we do is a reflection of our five core values:
- Professional having fun
- Honesty and initegrity
- Maintaining a family atmosphere
- Helping others
- An enthusiastic, traditional work ethic
An adherence to these principles gives our employees the opportunity to work in a great environment, promote a great company and high quality of life for our customers. We work hard, have fun and make people happy; what could be better?
Integrity at Don Abel
Don Abel Building Supply is celebrating 73 years in business and looking forward to a bright future. Now owned by Bruce Abel, a third-generation business owner, our company has served Southeast Alaska for generations. We focus on creating lifelong customer relationships you can count on, not closing a quick sale. Whether you are new to our company or have been trusting us with your business for years, we will do our very best to help you with your home and rental needs.
Why you should buy from a Locally-Owned Company!
- 68% of every dollar spent with a locally-owned company stays in the community; only 43% of the money spent with a national "big box" company stays in the community.
- Locally-owned companies provide the most new jobs in the community.
- Local owners, families, and employees are invested in our community.
- Non-For-Profits receive greater support from local small businesses.
- Locally-owned companies supply more volunteers and sponsorships for youth sports, the arts and non-profit boards.
- Locally-owned companies provide more value for your dollar with personal service and distinctive products.
- Local companies do not require large government subsides.
- Locally-owned companies pay good, living wages and benefits.
- Locally-owned companies network with other local companies for goods and services; the reciprocal flow of money has a positive economic effect in the local community.